Wild @ Flames - 3-22-08 - View from my Couch
Good, entertaining game tonite. Wild lose 5-4 to Calgary, but the game was fun to watch. Jerome Iginla whooped us again, with a hat trick to fuel the Flames. Josh Harding got the start, which is good. He's going to have to stay sharp somehow. He didn't look all that great, but what do you expect after not playing for 8 games.
Benioit Pouliot got his 1st NHL goal on a shot that hit a Floames skate and got past Flames G Mikka Kiprusoff. Then he scored his 2nd career goal to give the Wild a short-lived 2-1 lead. That's when Iginla went to work. He scored the next 3 goals and the Wild were down 2. They would cut it to 1 but give up another, then cut it to 1 again. Kim Johnsson had both of those goals. It was a weird nite for Wild goals.
- Another physical game, much like last nite. Boogaard, Simon, and Fedoruk all had fights. I like how they asserted themselves physically.
- Simon was called early in the 1st on a goaltender interference penalty where it looked like he was pushed in. But he somehow wound up with his arm around Kiprusoff's head, and I think he was called more on reputation than actual penalty. 1st time I can remember that type of call since he joined the team.
- If there is a positive in this game, it was how the Wild battled back. They were able to stay close in a game that alot of the time would probably have wound up in a blowout. Also scoring 4 times on Kiprusoff is a good sign.
- Pretty sure the Saddledome has the most annoying goal horn and post-goal atmosphere. At least today that's what I think.
- I believe we can beat the Flames if we meet them in the playoffs.
Fight to Hang the 1st Banner
With the regulation win, Calgary is now 1 pt behind the Wild for 1st, and they still have a game in hand. Colorado lost to Edmonton and Vancouver was off, so the Avs stay 5 pts back and Canucks stay 3 pts back. The Canucks also have a game in hand. Also Nashville won in a shootout, so they gain 2 points trying to make the playoffs. They're now 7 points back of the Wild with 6 to play.
Next on the Docket - Wild @ Olers - Mon 3-24-08
Edmonton is still fighting for their playoff lives, so they'll bring it. Oiler fans are obnoxios, and I think they have a pretty annoying goal horn too. I'm hopin to not have to hear it much at all. This is the 1st game of a home and home. Wild 4 Oil 1